Seafood Cooking Contest
The Maine Lobster Festival Seafood Cooking Contest
Each year, amateur chefs compete in the annual Maine Lobster Festival Seafood Cooking Contest. The event attracts visitors and contestants from all over the world, as well as print and broadcast media channels.
Amateur chefs age 18 and older compete for $525 in prize money during this popular event. A panel of judges select the winner based on creativity, suitability of the seafood to the recipe, and simplicity. The recipes can be any dish and must contain seafood found in Maine waters.
The contest begins at 9 a.m., Friday, August 2, 2019 in the North Entertainment Tent on the festival grounds. Judging begins at 11:30 a.m., with prizes announced and awarded around 12:30 p.m. First prize is $200, second prize is $175, and third prize is $150.
The contest audience will have the opportunity to sample the prepared recipes in the cooking area and pick up the contestants’ recipes after the awards are presented.
For additional contest details, contact Celia Knight by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 207-542-1192.
Applications are due July 15.
2018 Winning Recipes
1st Place - Eric Frate (Clam Jam Casino)
2nd Place - Paula Quirin (Asian Inspired Fresh Herb and Lobster Salad)
3rd place - Tyrrell Hunter (Seafood Shortcake)
Honorable Mention - Melinda Small (Basin Point Lobster Salad)
Honorable Mention - Maynard Stanley Jr. (Lobster Mac & Mornay)
2018 1st Place Winning Recipe: Clam Jam Casino - Eric Frate
1 dozen top neck clams
2 tbs. Minced garlic
1 tbs. Lemon juice
1 tbs. Hot sauce
¼ c. Parmesan cheese
3 tbs. Unsalted butter
¼ c. Panko bread crumbs
4-5 slices bacon (pref. Hickory smoked)
¼ c Italian bread crumbs – seasoned
1 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Clean and shuck clams - leave in shell and do not drain.
3. Add a small dab of garlic to each clam.
4. Add a drop of lemon juice and hot sauce to each clam.
5. Lightly sprinkle parmesan cheese all over clams.
6. Add about 1/2 teaspoon of butter to each clam (un-melted).
7. Lightly sprinkle panko bread crumbs over all clams.
8. Cover each clam with a piece of uncooked bacon.
9. Lightly sprinkle Italian bread crumbs over all clams.
10. Cook in over for 15-20 minutes (until bacon is crispy).
11. Garnish with paprika and parsley.